Author Topic: Tell us about your current contemplations!  (Read 1607 times)

MarasAndBuddhas

• a naughty and ambivalent buddhist
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us about your current contemplations!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 10:51:05 PM »
Hi Maras and Buddhas,

Sorry for sounding a bit forceful and my meaning being unclear.  I simply mean that Buddhism is not a label to identify oneself with.  That is just simply another impediment.  So is fantasizing about being a Zen monk etc. 

What Buddhism is is the practice.  It is the whole point of the Buddha's Teaching.  Without practice, you cannot improve the Mara/Buddha ratio.  That practice happens Now.

So, if you want to try it, we are here to help.  No need to start big, but the point is to start.

i didn't fantasize about being a zen priest, i thought about it, on the rational that actually becoming a monk or something similar is probably the highest one can get in a buddhist training. No matter all the rules i'd have to fallow, if that leads to a more blissful life...isn't that the goal? And hence by living a peaceful blissful life, you come closer to nirvana in your lineage of lives through a better karma?
When thoughts arise, then do all things arise. When thoughts vanish, then do all things vanish.

Anemephistus

• View Profile
Re: Tell us about your current contemplations!
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
You know. It's interesting. Seeing all of you having been in formal settings the influence they have on the thinking surrounding practice and what you contemplate! I have not done any formal training, it's simply not available here so I read and meditate.

I used to have an anecdote I liked to share about the pillows....I don't use them, I use a chair. It's not that I lack respect for the pillow. But my legs do, and my lower half being entirely numb cannot bring me wisdom, it does bring me pins and needles.

If you had to pick a book about exactly what you have been contemplating, or a scripture or teaching, what would it be? Do you have a link? I would love to see them!