Author Topic: Buddhist numbers  (Read 59 times)

Gibbon

• May all beings be happy and well.
    • View Profile
Buddhist numbers
« on: May 04, 2021, 06:01:15 PM »
There are so many things in Buddhism that come in numbered groups -- honestly, I don't know of any other religion or philosophy that comes close.  So how about putting them in this thread, starting with the lowest number?

I will begin with One -- the one Unexcelled, Perfect, and Complete Awakening, Anuttara-Samyak-Sambodhi.

Are there any more Ones or is it time to move on to Two?  Also, maybe the list should have started out from Zero?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:20:11 PM by Gibbon »

Chaz

• High-Functioning, Friendly, Neighborhood Reprobate and Worst Buddhist Ever
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Buddhist numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
There are so many things in Buddhism that come in numbered groups -- honestly, I don't know of any other religion or philosophy that comes close.  So how about putting them in this thread, starting with the lowest number?

I will begin with One -- the one Unexcelled, Perfect, and Complete Awakening, Anuttara-Samyak-Sambodhi.

Are there any more Ones or is it time to move on to Two?  Also, maybe the list should have started out from Zero?

Actually, the Rigpa Wiki lists many of the Enumeration in canon.

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Oddly, it doesn't list any Enumerations at 01.  Makes sense to me.

It is also a salient feature of Buddhism, that many teaching are presented that way.

Gibbon

• May all beings be happy and well.
    • View Profile
Re: Buddhist numbers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
What are the three universal truths?  I have heard of the Two Truths (conventional and ultimate) and the Four Noble Truths, but not three.

anything