Author Topic: Aghatavinaya Sutta: Removing Annoyance  (Read 33 times)

Chaz

• High-Functioning, Friendly, Neighborhood Reprobate and Worst Buddhist Ever
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Aghatavinaya Sutta: Removing Annoyance
« on: June 08, 2021, 06:13:45 PM »
Saw this discussed on another forum, thought I'd share my thoughts on the sutta.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.161.nymo.html

Loving-kindness can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed: this is how annoyance with him can be removed.

This, I think is most important, but is not something you can simply turn on and off like a light switch.  To say, or think, "I have loving kindness towards this anoying person." is not enough.  These are merely words and thoughts, and not loving-kindness.  There is more to it than that.

Compassion can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

The same would apply here.  In the Mahayana compassion is tied to the experience of emptiness.  You don't just turn on the compassion.

Onlooking equanimity can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

This is what I believe is the key - equanimity.  Practice leads to equanimity - having no extremes to cling to - love/hate, compassion/revultion and so on.  As long as you cling to hate for someone you can't love them and you can't just stop hating.  Or Loving if that's the case.  Either way it's clinging and until you achieve equanimity you won't let go.

The forgetting and ignoring of a person with whom you are annoyed can be practiced; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

This sounds like one of those things:  When all else fails you can just ignore them. Like covering your ears and chanting "lalalalalala".  Simple enough but is that really ignoring the person?  Probably not.  It's more likely to be some mental noise used to drown out other noise.  As some level you're still annoyed even though you claim to be ignoring.

Ownership of deeds in a person with whom you are annoyed can be concentrated upon thus: 'This good person is owner of his deeds, heir to his deeds, his deeds are the womb from which he is born, his deeds are his kin for whom he is responsible, his deeds are his refuge, he is heir to his deeds, be they good or bad.' This too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

This will come out of compassion.  You have to really believe that the person is basically good.  You can't just say it.  If you have that sort of compassion, you won't be annoyed with someone.

What are your thoughts?