Author Topic: Teaching Experience  (Read 111 times)

Chaz

• High-Functioning, Friendly, Neighborhood Reprobate and Worst Buddhist Ever
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Teaching Experience
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
I was reading a thread on another forum and it got me to thinking who is the most influential teacher in my life right now.

For me it's a no-brainer - my Root Guru.

As a matter of personal policy I never reveal his name on social media, and I won't change that here, but suffice it to say that the first teaching he gave me was enough, that if I were to never have another teaching from him in my life, I would need no more.

I had recently joined his sangha and had a group interview with him during a teaching visit.  When my turn came I asked about something I had read.  I read it in a poem written buy one of his gurus, Dilgo Khyentse, Rinpoche.  It was the term "Genuine Devotion".  I also recalled that the term was also found in the Mahamudra Lineage Supplication.  I had a pretty good idea what it wasn't but was uncertain of what it was.  So I asked, "What is Genuine Devotion".

He pondered this for a moment.  He looked right at me and said. "Open Heart".  He paused as if reconsidering and then said, "Yes, an Open Heart."  That was it.  That was all.  It was all that was needed.

So as it says,
Devotion is the head of meditation, as is taught.
 The guru opens the gate to the treasury of oral instructions.
 To this meditator who continually supplicates him
 Grant your blessings, so that genuine devotion is born in me.

This has been my guiding light since then.

Has anyone else had a "moment" with a teacher or a teaching?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:40:50 AM by Chaz »

Gibbon

• May all beings be happy and well.
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:08:53 PM »
Yes, open heart, that's the essence of it all.  Fortunate is he who meets his teacher in this life.  We meet our teacher as the result of ripening of previously created merit.  If there is a strong reaction upon meeting him for the first time, as is the case here, it probably means you studied with him in the past.

After meeting the teacher, we do work in opening the heart even further, such as making offerings constantly and performing service without any expectation of gain for the self.  Such an expectation closes the heart right back again.

"Well realizing that the root of the path,
The foundation for every realization,
Is to properly rely on my kind Guru,
Bless me to do so with great effort and devotion." -- Tsongkhapa

anything